Q: I’m concerned about losing my power when the next storm comes. What can I do?
A: Here are some tips to help you be prepared and stay safe.
- Stock up now on bottled water, nonperishable food items and batteries for flashlights and radios.
- Try to avoid using candles to reduce the risk of fire.
- Never operate a portable generator inside your home or garage.
- Do not use a camp stove inside the house, and do not use an unvented stove or oven as a heat source.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. A well-insulated refrigerator can keep food at safe temperatures (below 40°) for about 12 hours; food in a well-stocked freezer can stay frozen for as long as 2 days.